Monday, February 23, 2009

the Fourth Way: Argument from Degrees and Perfection

St. Thomas' fourth way states that for any given quality there must be a perfect standard by which all qualities are measured, and these perfections are contained in God.
Alright, so first of all I strongly disagree with this argument because I do not believe that there MUST always be a perfect standard. For example, I do not believe that there is a standard of perfection for beauty. I believe beauty is completely a matter of opinion. Although this opinion may be influenced by models, fashion magazines, etc. it still remains up to the viewer to decide whether or not something is beautiful. Also, even though this sounds really cheesy, I truly believe that beauty comes from the inside. You may be naturally pretty, but if you are depressed you can make yourself look terrible. To me (honestly, I know it's cheesy), all the people I love are beautiful. To me, if you have a great personality, you are beautiful, and I think that's how it is with most people.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting argument, but how do you know what makes a "good" personality? Is it because there is a perfect to judge against? Good job! 12/12 for week 2.

    ReplyDelete